Friday, August 1, 2014

From Graphic Classics: Feline and Canine Classics




I am so very fortunate to have the cats who have filled my life.  Katya and Sophia are my beloveds.  My cats Mischa, Simone, Anton, and Natasha are waiting for me in the afterlife, and I will live there with all of them... when it is time, of course.

I was therefore excited to receive GRAPHIC CLASSICS newest release Canine Classics/Feline Classics, illustrated tales from lovers of animals.

Tom Pomplun adapted many of the tales, and they are brilliantly illustrated, in color, by some fabulous talents.  The original stories were written by some of the greatest writers of all time, and that isn't the least bit hyperbole.  H.P. Lovecraft, Robert E. Howard, Edgar Allan Poe, Ray Bradbury, Ambrose Bierce, O. Henry, Algernon Blackwood, and more, show the depths of, and the utter awesomeness of companion animals in our lives.

I was shocked to see that the works were in color, since most of the books prior, that I remember were not.   I read every story, and while I adored every cat story, I even liked the dog stories.  To explain why this is important, I don't like dogs.  I've seen terrible things happen by dogs, I've been bit, and more.  So, the power of the fiction was able to overcome my prejudices.

I not only recommend this flip book, one side cats, one side dogs, I am going to put this on my shelf as one book I will keep and read again.

I don't give grades generally, anymore, but I am giving this book an A+.  I loved it that much.




No comments: